Thursday, March 10, 2011

Peanut Curried Chicken

To all of my curry loving peeps out there- this one is for you. Here's a recap of my sweets' and my conversation from the other night when I heated up this amazing dish from the Freezer Meal Night.



  • Sweets:  (mouth full of food and about to inhale a second forkful) How many more bags of this recipe did you make?
  • Me: Just this one.
  • Sweets: Uh oh. Let's steal your sister's and mom's. 
  • Me: (immediately texting away to all who joined me for the freezer meal night) We ate the curried chicken tonight and it is awful.  I feel so horrible for suggesting this meal.  We're willing to sacrifice one of our lasagna dishes for your curried chicken.  So sorry!
Unfortunately the plot didn't work as we had hoped.  Everyone had already eaten theirs and instead of laughing at the joke they were a bit slow and questioned why we didn't like it when they all loved it.

I promise it was funny when it happened.  Reading it now, it just looks like a waste of your time.  Sorry folks...

The majority of this recipe come from Rachel Ray and can be viewed here.  This version has been adapted to Penny Wenny's liking (and heat removed to satisfy all the kiddos that we have to feed).

Peanut Curried Chicken

 For the Freezer Meal Night, this recipe was multiplied by 4 and then divided up among 5 families.  If you only intend to make this for your family, only do a quarter of each ingredient.

Source: Rachael Ray

Ingredients:

4 small bunches green onions, coarsely chopped                   
4 inch cube ginger, peeled and grated                                   
8 TBSP minced garlic                                                
2 cups cilantro leaves (approx 2 bunches)                  
2 containers of Medium Curry blocks (or 10 TBSP curry powder).  The blocks give you a much more authentic indian flavor
4 cans chicken broth                                                  
4 TBSP veggie oil                                                                  
15 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces             
1 1/3 cup chunky peanut butter                                                         
3 cans coconut milk               



To Prepare:
Combine scallions, ginger, garlic, cilantro, curry powder and a splash of chicken broth in mixing bowl and whisk into a paste. 

Heat a large skillet over medium heat with oil.  Add chicken to pan and brown, 2-3 minutes.  Add spice paste and stir 1 minute to combine.  Add peanut butter to the pan and whisk in chicken broth.  Bring to a bubble and whisk in coconut milk, lower heat and simmer 7-8 minutes.



To freeze (optional):
 Ladle into zip loc freezer bags.  Cool in refrigerator.  Seal bag and freeze until ready to serve.


To serve:
 Defrost chicken in refrigerator the day prior to serving.  Heat in skillet over low heat until heated through. .

OPTIONAL: Add red pepper flakes for heat if desired.  Serve over rice

Our house smelled like Indian Heaven while this was heating up.  Even little Trav couldn't wait to dig in (sitting at Daddy's place of course...)

And yes, his shirt really does say "Dude your girlfriend keeps checking me out".  He's a lady's man for sure.

 I have to end this post with the best quote I heard today from my friend Heidi, the Shoeologist:

"When God closes one door, he opens a box of girl scout cookies".

That He does, Heidi.  I am incredibly sad to say however that I have yet to eat my first girl scout cookie of the season and typically by now I have inhaled at least 3 boxes.  Am I on a diet, you ask?  Watching my calories?  Trying to eat healthier?  Heavens no.  I just never remembered to order them.  I am dying!  If anyone just so happens to drop some off at my house tomorrow morning for my breakfast, I promise I won't object. MMMkay, thanks.

This darling Shoeologist is hosting a giveaway for a free pair of adorable Lucha shoes in gray or red.  Hop on over HERE and enter to win.  They are sooo my style.


I'm sharing this recipe with:


~PW

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out, my dear! That curry recipe sounds fantastic! And hey, it would probably go great with Girl Scout cookies. :)

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! Found your blog through Ali. We've been "bow" friends for a couple of years and she posted about your yummy freezer meals awhile back. I can't wait to try them out! Your blog is so cute and your refurbished furniture is beautiful. Keep it up, I'm following!
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay first, let's get things straight. I was sure you were kidding when I received the text, but you never know so I had to make sure. ;)

    And second, you don't need to worry about a diet anyway! I wish we lived closer so we could eat boxes of cookies together. Oh, and I haven't had any cookies yet either. I am usually too cheap to buy them. Instead I make muddy buddies for my kids and eat most of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aha ali that's so great. I'm glad you knew I was kidding :) I wish we lived closer too! I can't believe you didn't buy any girl scout cookies. You are disciplined girl!

    emily, you are so kind! So glad you're following. I'll try to keep things exciting :)

    Heidi, wouldn't girl scout cookies go amazing with anything?

    ReplyDelete

I can't wait to hear from you! If you have any detailed questions, please feel free to email me- LittleMissPennyWenny@gmail.com. Thanks!