Thursday, April 7, 2011

Sometimes you just can't say no

It's true. Although I have several other projects waiting to be finished in my basement right now and I set a New Years resolution to finish something before I start something new, some rules were simply meant to be broken. When you see a deal like this on KSL, you just can't say no.

Over the weekend, I came across this steal of a deal:






A Thomasville solid wood hutch with a separate base and top (glass shelves, interior lighting), a Thomasville solid wood dining table with 2 leaves, and 6 solid wood upholstered dining chairs for....

$250!

For realsys.  Please try your very hardest to look past the tragic walk down memory lane of the early 90's with the forest green painted top and sponge painted everything else and see the real beauty that will soon be revealed.




The lady who sold it to me was one of the sweetest people I've ever met, and she wanted to make sure this set went to a nice family.  I didn't have the heart to tell her the truth about us.... I think we're nice enough, anyhow.

I have been wanting a new dining room table and chairs for, well, ever and finally have my chance at one that I absolutely love!  Here's what we have in our kitchen now.  This was a hand me down from my sister and we have been so grateful to have used it since we were married, but we are so due for a new one.




This is definitely going to be a time consuming process however and a true labor of love.  I started stripping the paint so optimistically yesterday morning,

 and here is the progress now (almost 24 hours later). 


 It might look like I'm actually getting somewhere with it, but please bear in mind that this is after my scraping for about 2 hours. No Joke.  I applied another coat of the Citrustrip and have let it soak in overnight, so hopefully it's ready to work a little bit easier for me. 
 Can you hardly stand how fabulous that wood is hiding underneath there?  EEEK!
Does anyone have any fabulous tips for stripping paint for me?  Do you love/ hate any particular brands?  So far I haven't been all that ecstatic about this citrustrip I bought, so I just picked up some KleanStrip that I will be trying as soon as I log off here.


As a side note/ tip for the day, don't ever leave your little boy unattended in the kitchen while you "quickly" log in to check your stats (you crazy obsessive bloggers...)


Here's my little Trav coming in the office saying "Pease?"  for more candy from the drawer he opened and helped himself to for breakfast.  
Check out that bed head.  Gosh, I love this little stinker.


xoxox


~PW

9 comments:

  1. Love the behead. Haha. That set is sure lovely (haha). I know you will do wonders with it! Cant wait to see the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a steal! I'm so excited to see what you do with it! I don't have any suggestions for paint strippers . . . I've been too scared to tackle furniture projects :-) Good luck!

    Rachel @ Maybe Matilda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jen....It's going to be beautiful! Can't wait to see what you do with it. I bet you are so excited to do it! I need to learn to upholster...that would be so nice to know how.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it; I thought this only happened at my house (candy for breakfast when Mom's on the computer)!

    I didn't have any luck w/the Citrus strip either. I ended up using Klean-Strip Stripper (stinky gel stuff in a rectangular can). Worked like a charm I tell ya!

    Talk about a SCORE with the Thomasville stuff!!! So jealous. wink-wink.

    Kaye

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all!

    Kaye- so good to know! That's what I bought today so I'll give it a whirl this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think all of your followers would have been livid if you past up that deal :) That is so awesome. I absolutely can not wait for the AFTER. especially the dining room set :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My stripper friend...um, I mean my friend who strips...um...my friend who is stripping her furniture uses a marine strength stripper and it has worked amazingly for her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. AMAZING deal! I'm so glad when people can see beyond the tacky outer shell and see the beauty within. It will be fabulous when you're done, can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your little guy just can't get enough candy. I think your New Years resolution is great. You always want to finish ever project you start because if you don't have will you trust yourself to ever finish any projects?

    -Zane of ontario honey

    ReplyDelete

I can't wait to hear from you! If you have any detailed questions, please feel free to email me- LittleMissPennyWenny@gmail.com. Thanks!